Köln is ideal for brewing traditional Kölsch-style beers and other neutral ales. The neutral character of this strain accentuates delicate hop aromas while imparting subtle fruity esters. Through expression of a -glucosidase enzyme, Köln can promote hop biotransformation and accentuate hop flavor and aroma. Colder fermentations will be more neutral in character, while warmer fermentations will have a more fruit-forward ester profile. Fermentation that can be completed in 7 days, a bit slower than most ale strains. This is perfectly characteristic of this strain.
- Styles: kölsch-style, neutral ales
- Aroma: slightly fruity, more neutral with colder fermentations
- Attenuation: medium to high
- Temperature Range: 12 - 20°C (54 - 68°F)
- Flocculation: medium to high
- ABV Tolerance: 9% ABV